So, while I struggle to find my wisdom footing, I do believe my age has given me the opportunity to assume the "old man who always says 'remember when'" role. Yes, the past had its problems. No time is perfect. But it sure seems like people were less stressed. Again, that is through the tainted lense of my old memory.
With that in mind, here's a list of 20 random "remember whens":
- Remember when Halloween shopping started after Oct 1st?
- And speaking of Halloween, remember when we didn't have the joke of "fun size" candy bars?
- Remember when Christmas decorations weren't sold in stores before November 1st?
- Remember when the mall was the place to go to shop for things?
- Remember when we had bookstores and record stores?
- Remember when people could disagree, and conduct a civil discussion with each other? You know...when insane, screaming, swearing people were the "fringe" and those people typically didn't get much attention. People will always disagree. That's ok...feeling a need to beat those who disagree with you is not ok.
- Remember when Twitter was a great tool for information and a laugh?
- Remember when Facebook was great for sharing family pics and reconnecting with old friends?
- Remember when music didn't need blank spaces to be played on the radio?
- Remember when we used to use the radio to listen to music and baseball games?
- Remember when MTV played music videos?
- Remember when we could burn leaves?
- Remember when staying at the same employer for your entire career was looked upon (by other people and your employer) as a wonderful accomplishment?
- Remember when there were news anchors that weren't concerned so much with their appearance, but about reporting the news accurately?
- Remember when a hike in the woods or a walk down a grassy path didn't trigger you to conduct a full body exam, looking for ticks? #Lyme
- Remember when the only "fake news" we dealt with was from the National Enquirer and the Weekly World News? #BatBoy
- Remember when Pabst was a cheap beer, not a trendy beer?
- Remember when video games didn't need a rating system? #Pitfall
- Remember Sanka and Tab?
- Remember when you could make it through life holding one very simple belief closest to your heart.."Do unto others as you would have them do unto you."?
I understand that life is far more complicated today. That older, simpler times were not always better times. But I think we could nudge ourselves back a little and find a much, much better place to be.
Until then, I am going to queue up this movie...because it makes me feel good. And I have no idea how a movie on Fred Rogers gets a PG-13 rating.