Thursday, April 10, 2008

Like Chess, Only Harder

Like most people today, we are always looking for ways to save money.  One of the obvious ways is to save leftovers from suppers and use them for lunches.  In fact, many foods (like meat loaf) are much better the second time around.

Last night we made spaghetti for supper.  Considering we have five kids (all boys) and the oldest ones are 16 and 14, when we make spaghetti, we make spaghetti.....like 3.5 lbs of spaghetti.  Last trip to Sam's Club netted us a six pound bag of spaghetti.  How cool is that??

Anyway, as anticipated we had a few leftovers.  As I prepared to store the leftovers, the lack of availability of appropriately sized Tupperware should have given me a fair warning.  But, after creatively fitting a round bowl with an oval lid (Tupperware does have "give" in it), I was ready to take the food to the fridge.

Unfortunately, upon opening the fridge door, here is what I was greeted with:



Holy bat barf, Batman!!  How the hell do I get a bowl of spaghetti in there???  In a scene much like the one in Apollo 13, I spent several minutes (and trial runs) putting together the right steps of moving and replacing current contents so as to make room for the new occupant.  Yes, there were setbacks, but failure was not an option.

As usual, upon successfully storing the new leftovers, I had Mrs. WHW come down stairs just so I 
could show her.  Her initial reaction was to pull two bowls out, saying they had old food in them.  Then asked me to dispose of the hairy turkey salad and taco meat.  

Now I have to figure out how to fit the newly emptied Tupperware into the Tupperware cabinet shelf.  My work is never done.

4 comments:

Chris said...

Jim Lovelle and Ken Mattingly would love that you compared this task to chess and Apollo 13.

I hate it when there are containers with no lids, so you're forced to use serran(?) wrap. Can't stack anything on it. Always has to be on top. Then you're screwed.

Hope you had a happy birthday, buddy!

Guinevere said...

Everyone who has ever tried to put something new into an already packed refrigerator always check to see what can be thrown out. Well, MOSTLY everyone knows that...obviously. ;o)

Is it your birthday today???

Anonymous said...

Your fridge looks alot (exactly) like mine does at the moment!! Scary part?? We have TWO!!!

I love leftover spaghetti, especially chopped up and baked into a casserole with shredded cheese on top!!

Hope you are well my friend!

Caffeinated Librarian said...

Dude. I looooove this post!

But you are still. so. weird. :-)

Mountain Dew, Why Do You Hate Me?

 For most of my life (a lengthy bit of time) I have been a passionate supporter of Mountain Dew.  To apply a time filter to this statement, ...