Thursday, January 01, 2009

Thanks, Mr. Franklin

I will be 46 this year. I have had glasses since 4th grade. My eyesight sucks....at least my distant vision. I have always been really nearsighted.

Unfortunately, my near vision has slowly deteriorated over the last 5-7 years. It isn't awful, but I had been finding myself struggling to read ingredients on canned foods and heating instructions on frozen meals.

So, after putting off an eye exam for months, I finally broke down and went in. Truth be told, I "broke down" when one of the nose pieces on my glasses broke. As I expected, the optometrist told me it was time for bifocals.

Damn, damn, damn.

I ended up paying a king's ransom for scratch resistant, ultra-thin, blended lenses. No line on the glasses. In retrospect, "the line" was the least of my worries.

So far, I have had a few issues getting used to them. This evening I ended up pouring some of my beloved Mountain Dew on the counter, thinking I had the can lined up with the glass. My typing has also been negatively impacted (which takes some doing).

I hate doing the "tilt back".

Getting old really sucks.

Footnote: The previous sentence was originally typed - "Getting olf reskky sucls".

2 comments:

Dory said...

I beat you to the bifocals by a year... I got mine last November. It took me exactly 2 weeks to get really used to them. Seriously... I was having bouts of motion sickness from all the changing perspectives through the different lenses (b/c I actually got trifocals - distance viewing up top, computer distance, and then for reading at the bottom). I was really worried I'd not get used to them but, just as I'd been told - right at two weeks, like magic - I could see again. Weird.

Good luck...

Guinevere said...

LOL I have to laugh only because this sounds so like me. I've had glasses since 2nd grade, though...and I'm EXTREMELY near-sighted. Last fall, I finally got back into the optometrist's office to update my contacts prescription. She told me that, yes, next time I order glasses, I'll be ordering "multi-focal lenses". *sigh* Problem is I wear contacts from the time I get out of the shower in the morning until right before I climb into bed at night. If I had to get reading glasses to wear with my contacts, I'll probably just go to bifocals, period, and call it done. I've noticed in the last couple of years that it's harder and harder to read things like you noted...and even worse, street signs...esp. at night! Yeah, the joys of getting old. :oP

Mountain Dew, Why Do You Hate Me?

 For most of my life (a lengthy bit of time) I have been a passionate supporter of Mountain Dew.  To apply a time filter to this statement, ...