Thursday, January 01, 2009

Thanks, Mr. Franklin

I will be 46 this year. I have had glasses since 4th grade. My eyesight sucks....at least my distant vision. I have always been really nearsighted.

Unfortunately, my near vision has slowly deteriorated over the last 5-7 years. It isn't awful, but I had been finding myself struggling to read ingredients on canned foods and heating instructions on frozen meals.

So, after putting off an eye exam for months, I finally broke down and went in. Truth be told, I "broke down" when one of the nose pieces on my glasses broke. As I expected, the optometrist told me it was time for bifocals.

Damn, damn, damn.

I ended up paying a king's ransom for scratch resistant, ultra-thin, blended lenses. No line on the glasses. In retrospect, "the line" was the least of my worries.

So far, I have had a few issues getting used to them. This evening I ended up pouring some of my beloved Mountain Dew on the counter, thinking I had the can lined up with the glass. My typing has also been negatively impacted (which takes some doing).

I hate doing the "tilt back".

Getting old really sucks.

Footnote: The previous sentence was originally typed - "Getting olf reskky sucls".
Post a Comment

Meet The New Boss - Same As The Old Boss

Remember when this blog used to be your go-to source for juvenile stories focusing on bathroom experiences, weird personal encounters, and a...