Saturday, August 19, 2006

I Agree To Disagree With Myself

A personal Point-Counterpoint.

BTW: This probably isn't helping me shake the perception others have that I may be a bit unbalanced. Oh well.....


Point

People Really Annoy Me
by WHW
Television I try to be nice. I try to get along. I try to "live and let live". But, as hard as I try, certain people do certain things to annoy the heck out of me.

There aren't a lot of things that bug me....at least I don't think there are. So, as a public service, here are some of my "buttons":

  1. When I park at work, I usually park several spaces away from most. That is because I don't like to be rushed getting out of my car, getting my stuff out of my car, etc. I HATE IT when someone sits impatiently waiting to pull in next to me..when there is half a freakin' lot to park in.
  2. I work in a building away from the corporate headquarters. So, frequently I have meetings at corporate that I will drive to. Since parking is an issue, people are seemingly always circling around waiting for a close spot to open. I HATE IT when people slowly creep behind me as I walk to my car. Perhaps they could roll down their window, and ask me where I am parked!!?? Or better yet, park farther away and get some stinking exercise.
  3. I have no problem with someone who is passionate about a topic...even when I disagree with them. I respect passion. I HATE IT when that same person is completely intolerant of others who are passionate about the opposite opinion.
  4. Simple rule in my world...a person's job has no affect on how much respect I give them. So, if a person waits tables at Olive Garden, washes tables at Burger King, dumps trash cans at work, bags my groceries at Krogers, makes my wonderful cappuccino, etc...I will say please, thank you, and give them appropriate respect. I HATE IT when someone looks down at another simply because their paycheck is bigger than that person's.
  5. While on the subject of waiting tables, if a waitress/waiter is working hard, but the food you get sucks, it is likely not their fault. Tips for them should be based on their service. I HATE IT when people punish the person waiting their table for food that the cooks didn't prepare properly.
  6. I HATE being interrupted.
  7. And finally, I have neighbors who have two very large dogs. No problem with that. The problem creeps up when they walk the dogs and let them deposit a few nuggets in my yard. They pretend to pick it up, but they don't. My shoes or one of my kids' shoes verifies that. I HATE IT when people let their pets "fertilize" others' yards...right in front of them. In my specific case, the airhorn is still somewhat effective.

CounterPoint


I Really Annoy People
by WHW
Television I know what you are thinking..."...no WHW. How could anyone be annoyed with you???". I want to be fair here, so I am going to list out some of the things I know annoy others. Some are what I think annoys people...others are what people have told me annoys them.

  1. I laugh a lot. I get very jittery when I have to be serious for more than an hour at a time. I end up making jokes to myself to lighten my load.
  2. I am not good at delegating work. I tend to try to do everything myself. Not because I think I am better than everyone else....I just hate asking someone else to do something.
  3. When someone is being an a$$ in front of me, I almost always make fun of them to their face. I think this annoys both that person...as well as people around us. They would just like the person to go away. Where I usually trigger an all out debate.
  4. I make noises when I read. Not saying the words out loud....I usually hmmm, mumble, or whistle. I can't just read. I know this annoys people.
  5. I refuse to make a decision when it comes to where we (my family) eat when we eat out. This drives one unnamed person in my family bonkers.
  6. I like to slowly think things over and decide an action. My deliberate approach really annoys many of my coworkers.
  7. When I know something "funny" about someone, I kid them about way too much.

10 comments:

Guinevere said...

We have more in common than I thought...how weird does that make ME! lol

You should really look into a career writing! :o)

http://caroldee.wordpress.com said...

WEll how you doing MR. BILL??? I am lousy..after three days with no space I am ticked!! I can access my other spaces just not my main one. WHAT A JIP!! Yeah people have told me to download the live writer and all would be well with the world..The new spaces are set up for BETA action. I hate change!
I must be a nerd from the 60's who hates to be messed with.haha.. You have a nice week okay..I will vent at my blogger..which by the way is going BETA too..UGHHH!!!

Springs1 said...

"I HATE IT when people punish the person waiting their table for food that the cooks didn't prepare properly."

I HATE that attitude of "IT'S THE COOK'S FAULT ALL THE TIME"! It's POSSIBLE you pressed the WRONG button. I’ve had a server ADMIT to me he pressed the WRONG BUTTON and obviously he didn’t do part of his job which was to REREAD my order he wrote down as well as COMPARED the plate of food to my written order BEFORE he brought it to the table. He brought me out quesadillas instead of what I ordered which was bbq chicken nachos(it’s an appetizer, but I ordered it as my entrĂ©e). So the cooks AREN’T *ALWAYS* at fault. With that type of attitude, you should get ZERO for not acting like it’s *EVER* the servers fault, which sometimes CAN BE! If I’ve asked for a side of ranch with my meal and you bring my meal without it, YOU’RE AT FAULT for NOT NOTICING IT IN THE KITCHEN. Same thing with a wrong side dish. If I ordered beans and you bring me rice, well, *YOU* took my order, so YOU should take the ****EFFORT**** to make SURE I have what I ordered as far as what you can SEE.

http://www.mtsusidelines.com/media/paper202/news/2003/10/01/Opinions/Tips-Are.Earned.Rewards.Not.An.Ordained.Right-508957.shtml?norewrite&sourcedomain=www.mtsusidelines.com

“Never, ever take food out that is incorrectly done (I had a waitress rip me a new one for something I goofed up on as a cook and she demanded I fix it then and there - and she was right and I learned). Explain about and apologize for the delay.”

Basically, this is a cook that had a VERY SMART waitress tell the cook basically that: “YOU MADE A MISTAKE, FIX IT BEFORE I BRING OUT THE FOOD WRONG.” So it’s NOT ALWAYS the cook that prepared the food wrong if you took the order and bring out the order wrong. It’s the LAST PERSON who sees the food as long as the ticket was printed correctly as far as if it’s a food runner and if it’s the same server, the same server should compare what they wrote down to the plate of food BEFORE taking it to the customer wrong. I am NOT talking about pickles under a bun or burrito fillings that the server CAN’T see without touching the food. I am ONLY talking about things the server can actually SEE is wrong with the food or missing.

If you can SEE it's WRONG, *YOU* ARE AT FAULT FOR BRINGING ME THE WRONG FOOD WHETHER OR NOT YOU PRINTED THE TICKET CORRECTLY! DON'T BRING ME PASTA IF I ORDERED A BURGER! DON'T BRING ME MY MEAL WITHOUT MY SIDE OF RANCH I ORDERED *WITH* MY MEAL! DON'T BRING ME MY FOOD WITH THE WRONG SIDE DISH! DON'T BRING ME PICKLES ON MY PLATE IF I SAID "NO PICKLES" and HAVEN'T SPECIFIED THAT I WANTED IT ON THE SIDE. I WOULD THINK IF SOMEONE WOULD SAY "NO PICKLES", THEY WANT "NO" PICKLES EVEN ON THE PLATE! So the COOK may not read the ticket correctly and cook the wrong side dish like if I order fries, but you bring me beans, you don't have to look like an IDIOT WASTING TIME *****BRINGING***** IT TO ME THAT WAY, DO YOU? I COUNT OFF FOR STUPID SERVERS THAT DON'T *DOUBLE CHECK* THE FOOD AS FAR AS WHAT THEY CAN *SEE* IS WRONG WITH IT! They wrote the order down(hopefully), so there's *SOME* way to check the plate BEFORE walking all the way to the table for NOTHING and walking ALL the way back to the kitchen to get it fixed, then walking ALL the way back to the customer's table to bring the correct food. Doesn't that sound STUPID of a server to do that to themselves as well as the customer? If the CUSTOMER can SEE something wrong or missing WITHOUT TOUCHING the food, the SERVER CAN TOO!

*****BRINGING THE FOOD OUT INCORRECTLY(ONLY WHAT THE SERVER CAN *SEE* THAT IS) IS A MISTAKE WITHIN ITSELF!*******

bwmson said...

Hmmm, it appears I have another item to add to my "I annoy people" column.

Thanks for pointing out the server/cook info, springs1.

Guinevere said...

???? Sheesh! Appears someone neglected to take a chill pill today. lol I guess we know what annoys him/her! ;oD

I bet you had no idea you'd stir up that kind of comment, eh, Bill?

Caffeinated Librarian said...

*sigh* Good lord, dude. You're starting to get comments like S-T-B-Dr.-Cara gets.

Didn't you know you're supposed to know everything? Be fair and unbiased ALL the time? Not have an opinion of your own that contradicts ANYONE else's.

I mean, come on, what were YOU thinking?

SomedayQuilter said...

CL said it so well I'll just say "I second that". :o)

Sue said...

Gotta agree with #5 of Point. Blondie is in that business and she tosses tips back to people who are nasty to her because of what a cook did or didn't do their food and then insult her with a 50 cent or dollar tip. toss it back and tell them it's obvious they need it more than she does and strut off.

Sue

pmaroun said...

WHW,

I hear you about those annoying parking lot "tail-gaiters". This morning at 9:15, I went out to my car to get something that I forgot. A lady driving a Hummer through the parking lot stopped and stared at me (I thought it was because I was good looking). She ten turned her car around and slowly followed me to my car. To her surprise, she saw me open the back gate grab something and then walk back toward work. She actually rolled down her windows and sarcastically smirked, "Thanks for leading me on!"

That made my day.

Terra said...

WHW,
I understand the hate and annoy concept. I agree to disagree on a daily basis. In fact my hates and annoyances goes much deeper.

I hate peoples driving in occupied public places, such as McDonald's, grocery stores, department stores, park and recreation facilities, etc. People tend to drive without much regard to pedestrians and young children.

I therefore make unusually loud and obnoxious comments to whomever will hear me, including the driver. This annoys my better half to the utmost. However, I do this in hopes of making others aware of their surroundings.

I also play an annoying game of "I'm not touching you." This involves pointing a finger at someone who is easily annoyed and repeating, "I'm not touching you," for as long as is humanly possible. It is a great game to play with the children when they have chores to do and are playing on the game systems or chatting on the internet. Give this a try and you may be surprised at the outcomes. LOL.

Terra

Mountain Dew, Why Do You Hate Me?

 For most of my life (a lengthy bit of time) I have been a passionate supporter of Mountain Dew.  To apply a time filter to this statement, ...