Tuesday, October 24, 2006

How 'bout some backbacon?









I hit the skies on Wednesday, traveling to the Great White North (specifically, Toronto). How sad is it that, of all the cool facts about Canada, here is what is coming to mind this instant:

  1. 110 yard football field


  2. William Shatner is from Canada


  3. Alanis Morisette is from Canada (that's for you, Bat.)


  4. Dan Ackroyd is from Canada


  5. BTO, Anne Murray, Brian Adams, and Gordon Lightfoot are from Canada


  6. Moosehead Beer


  7. Great fishing


  8. Draft Dodgers


  9. French vs English


  10. SCTV - What a GREAT show.


  11. Jim Carrey is Canadian


  12. Lord Stanley's Cup


  13. Gordie Howe, Wayne Gretzky, Bobby Hull


  14. Ferguson Jenkins - GREAT Cubs pitcher


  15. James Naismith - Inventor of basketball


  16. Chris Jericho and the Hart family


  17. Their money has pictures of birds on it


  18. And, my favorite all time Canadian duo:






What a great album...and movie. Take off you hoseheads.








4 comments:

Chris said...

Things that come to my mind:

- My brother lives in Canada (went after Vietnam, but still got into some trouble)
- Metric system, which I was sure we were going to in the 6th grade
- Montreal Expos with their weird logo that took me years to realize it was an "M"
- Vinegar instead of Ketchup on french fries (beware of this, my friend)
- "Loonies" and "toonies", their $1 and $2 coins with a loon on one side. (This then makes me think of "On Golden Pond" and Katherine Hepburn saying "The loons! The loons!" in a voice only Spencer Tracy could love.)
- And the joke about how the name "Canada" came about, all based on the phrase "eh?"

Have a great trip, my friend. And please, no international incidents. They are our friends.

Guinevere said...

Oh! You beat me to the punch! I was going to post an entry about 'Strange Brew' this week! For real! lol

Man...that's kind of scary!

I haven't made it to Canada yet. My sister-in-law (M's older sister) lives in Winnipeg...but I can't convince M to go visit. He says, "It's friggin' cold in the winter and they have mosquitoes the size of birds in summer!" (I might have to just go alone. lol)

Have a great trip!

Elizabeth said...

What is SCTV?

http://caroldee.wordpress.com said...

Hey.. wasn't Michael J fox from Canada or was that someone else like Michael Keaton? ANyway..stopped by to see ya and see what's up in your world...HOW the heck you stay WELL and not get PLANE germs all the flyin you do???All those bodies full of all kinds of sickness..oh now I ruined your day..sorry bout that chief!!LOL
take care stay well.. : )

Mountain Dew, Why Do You Hate Me?

 For most of my life (a lengthy bit of time) I have been a passionate supporter of Mountain Dew.  To apply a time filter to this statement, ...