Thursday, December 21, 2006

Uncle Billy....Keep Track Of That Money

I have a thing about lists. I like to put things in lists....rate them....then argue the validity of the rating. At the risk of presenting a list that has been listed to death, let's look at my list of favorite Christmas programs/movies.

Note: My algorithm for rating programs/movies is simple. To make it into the top 10, I have to either own the VHS/DVD, or it be one I want to own. The higher the rating, the more likely I am to watch said program "outside of season".

10. Rugrats: Santa Experience - In this one, Angelica tricks Phil and Lil into trading their favorite toys for presents for each other. In the end, a mysterious Santa shows up to help her figure it all out. Favorite line: At a department store, while telling Santa what she wants, Angelica figures out it isn't really Santa, jumps off his lap, and yells "Santa's a fake!! Run for your life" to all the kids in line.

9. Mickey's Twice Upon a Christmas - Nice computerized 3-D characters. Very good Christmas messages. Kids really like this one.

8. Miracle on 34th Street - This one was made in 1973, and has Sebastian Cabot as Santa...and Roddy McDowell as the irritating psychologist. Sebastian makes a GREAT Santa.

7. Christmas Vacation - A good Chevy Chase movie....seems like an oxymoron.

6. How The Grinch Stole Christmas - Boris Karloff and that guy with the deep voice that sings, "You're a mean one, Mr. Grinch...."

5. The Toy That Saved Christmas - VeggieTales has a special place in my heart. This one...about a toy man who has a working buzzsaw on his arm (named Buzzsaw Louis) is one of their best....surpassed only by Madam Blueberry.

4. It's A Wonderful Life - Who isn't touched as George stands on the bridge and cries, "I want to live again..."?

3. Rudolph The Red Nosed Reindeer - "Why am I such a misfit??...", Burl Ives as the singing snowman, Hermie the elf that wants to be a dentist, Yukon Cornelius, and on and on....

2. Charlie Brown Christmas - From the music, to the kids dancing, to Linus' message, this one is great.

1. Scrooge - This is the version of the Christmas Carol from 1951. Alastair Sim is Ebenezer. I prefer the black and white version over the colorized. When I was a young one, I can remember a local TV station playing this every Christmas eve. The movie does an incredible job setting the mood. This was also one of the few novels I enjoyed reading in grade school. I recently found this one in the discount DVD bin. What a steal....

8 comments:

Chris said...

Not a worthless list by any stretch of the imagination. Can't argue with the order either. No fond memories of "Scrooge" so it would be lower. But I got hooked on "Its a Wonderful Life" one summer in college with nothing better to watch than free videos at the library. Now I own VHS, B/W and Color versions of it. Probably my favorite, but 1A would be Charlie Brown. The dancing is something I mock to this day. And who could forget Linus giving us the account of Jesus' birth.

BTW: Did you know that the voice singing "Your a mean one, Mr. Grinch" was that of Tony the Tiger? Hopefully you can use that at work to dazzle JGirl tomorrow...

Have a Merry Christmas, buddy!

bwmson said...

Thanks, Chris. I did not know that it was Tony the Tiger singing.

I hope you have a Merry Christmas, too.

Guinevere said...

What a great list! I love Veggie Tales too. I don't really have a favorite, though. They all have some really good scenes. My favorite scene, though, would have to be the first one with the French peas in Josh & The Big Wall. It still cracks me up and I've seen it a million times! lol

But I have to wonder..."A Christmas Story" didn't make the cut? Hmmm...

I hope you have a utterly wonderful Christmas with your family this weekend!!! :o) See ya after the holidays!

Guinevere said...

Oh, forgot to note: one of the best parts of any Veggie Tales is Silly Songs with Larry. I love them all, particulary "I Love My Lips" and "The Mute Sabu". lol

InTheFastLane said...

Nice list! I would have to add "A Christmas Story" to my list. My husband LOVES that version of scrooge. in fact he is very angry right now that it has not been played yet this year. I should really invest in a DVD copy so I can stop hearing him rant about it.

Elizabeth said...

I'm going to toss in my 2 cents for A Christmas Story as well.
You'll Shoot Your Eye Out!
Merry Christmas!!

Kirby said...

Scrooge....hmmm. I also used to watch the 1951 version Christmas eve on WCIA.

Merry Christmas to you and your family!

http://caroldee.wordpress.com said...

WHAT WHAT WHAT... you don't like all those kiddie movies like HOME ALONE..hmmm or maybe seeing AhhhNOLD in JINGLE ALL THE WAY..or SANTA CLAUSE with Tim ALLEN...well true they can get a bit on ones nerves.. I prefer the oldies like
HOLIDAY INN with the BINGster himself.."we'll follow the Old man wherever he wants to go.." gets me everytime....I won't say have a white christmas..cause I know you have had enough bad weather troubles there..Just Merry Christmas and Happy 2007.May your roof be leakproof and sturdy all the days you live there!!! Blessings to you and the family.. ^j^ : )

Mountain Dew, Why Do You Hate Me?

 For most of my life (a lengthy bit of time) I have been a passionate supporter of Mountain Dew.  To apply a time filter to this statement, ...