Sunday, January 28, 2007

Food For Thought

Sort of in a reflective mood tonight. Various reasons.....

In church today, one of the readings was one that really made me think. Yea, I have heard this one many, many times (probably one of the most used in weddings). For some odd reason, it struck a chord this morning. Here it is:

Love is patient, love is kind.
It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud.
It is not rude, it is not self-seeking.
It is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs.
Love does not delight in evil, but rejoices with the truth.
It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.
Love never fails.

I Corinthians 13:4-8

Usually, during the readings, at least one of the kids required my "attention". Since Mrs. WHW plays the organ, I usually have crowd control for our family. Today, the young ones were somewhat civilized...which provided me an opportunity to actually listen. In all honesty, I didn't hear much after this. An issue at the far end of the pew needed my attention.

As I heard the reading, my mind kept traveling to ways I had missed the mark. The list in the reading is a tough one....at least for me. I have a lot of human failings....and can think of many misses for each of these. Many.

Now, you would think I would be depressed by thinking of all the ways I fail.....but I wasn't. One of the great things about readings like this is that I go from thinking of ways I failed (bummer) to thinking of ways I can make ammends....ways I can rebound and take care of things the way I should. It gives me hope, ambition, and energy.

I'm not wanting this post to be preachy or make people feel bummed. Simply take it as one individual's testimony as to how a simple reading like this can restore your energy to improve. For me, this works a lot better than self-help books/tapes. For me, this reading is what I needed today.

Having a list like this can hit you hard (like it did me) and can drag you through some guilt....but ultimately, it can really make you feel good....trust me.

6 comments:

Shannon said...

I love this verse and like you I see it as a challenge to do better- not as a list of things to make me feel badly because I am not doing them all.

Thank you for sharing this- I too needed to hear it!

Blessings to you,
S :)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing your thoughts Bill. That is a beautiful verse and you are right! After the initial feeling of failure, it truly is inspirational, as it was meant to be.

Bob~

Caffeinated Librarian said...

I've always liked this one too. Thanks for the reminder, dude. I may send it to someone else I know.

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing this..we all need a kick in the pants every so often! And this is a challenge..
thanks,
Jean

Chris said...

You know, we almost always hear this within the context of a wedding. But I think you're using it as it was intended - not just the bride and groom, but for everyone ALL the days of our lives. From the best self-help book and Author around. Thanks for sharing, man.

Caffeinated Librarian said...

Whoooooooooooooo-hoooooooooooo!

Congrats on your Colts, dude!

Mountain Dew, Why Do You Hate Me?

 For most of my life (a lengthy bit of time) I have been a passionate supporter of Mountain Dew.  To apply a time filter to this statement, ...