Thursday, January 25, 2007

This is a sham of a travesty...

So, Forbes decides to list the top 25 "Web Celebrities". As I scan down the list, all I can think is..."I don't think so."

First off....no mention of some of the true internet pioneers. To steal a bit from the late great Chris Farley....I guess they aren't "camera friendly"...they don't "sell magazines". I do see that they included a person I think pioneered the idea of video blogging...Robert Scoble (#9)....so I will give Forbes points for that. Drudge (#4) is ok....

However, my real beef is this....The freakin number one person is a fictional character!! The lonely girl from YouTube. Come on. I understand how a good list mixes the serious with the amusing....but with all the people contributing to the web as we know it today, couldn't they add a bit more respect to their list by letting #1 be someone real?

Oh, I'm sure you are wondering....who do I think should be in the list. Well, smarty, here is my top 10 list:

  1. Tim Berners-Lee (the founder of the internet)
  2. Chad Hurley, Steve Chen, and Jawed Karim (founders of YouTube)
  3. Whoever writes stuff like this for The Onion
  4. DJ Gallo (writes this site)
  5. The bunny with a pancake on its head
  6. Larry Page and Serget Brin (founders of Google)
  7. Marc Andreessen (who can forget one of the authors of Mosaic)
  8. The Caffeinated Librarian
  9. Eric Cartman
  10. Goblins, Ogres, Murlocs, Nagas (WoW, if you know what I mean)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I definitely agree with #8!!!! But you left out yourself!?!? Just modest I guess.....

Caffeinated Librarian said...

You're sweet, dudes. But you're also slightly full of it (*grin*)...no way I belong on that list.

But I'm honored that you both think so anyway.

What, the Google guys are only #6?! What's up with that? And Wikipedia (via J. Wales) has to be on there somewhere.

I'll agree that the Forbes' list #1 bites. Lonely Girl?! Frickin' Lonely Girl? What pimply pre-teen boy thought THAT warranted a #1 spot?

Elizabeth said...

I agree with CL about Wiki. That is a great site...

http://caroldee.wordpress.com said...

WOW a place I can actually comment on..woo hoo..makes my day.. hope the winter is treating you well..I so agree if you ask the average person they know who BILL GATES is but not who invented the INTERNET..how SAD!! I have moved to my blogspot because of MSN problems...Yes.. I do still use it!! Take care....

Mountain Dew, Why Do You Hate Me?

 For most of my life (a lengthy bit of time) I have been a passionate supporter of Mountain Dew.  To apply a time filter to this statement, ...