Monday, August 20, 2007

SOB - A Fresh Start

I blog a lot about bathrooms. It's my thing, my bit, my shtick. It's my area of expertise. And I am a big advocate of sticking to your strengths. So......

Recently, my wife and I had a nice supper out together. No kids, no happy meals, no "mc" on the front of anything. An actual sit down, slow paced meal....with time spent chewing up and tasting the food. It was nice.

What topped the evening off for me was the restaurant's bathroom. I ducked in just before we left. And what I found is something I am growing more and more fond of. The Single Occupancy Bathroom (SOB). The kind that, as you walk in you lock the door. From then until you are completely finished, the room is yours. How great is that????

No sharing of noises or smells.....no uncomfortable urinal chats.....no witnessing of non-washing. Just you, the potty, the urinal, the TP, the sink, and the paper towel/hot air machine. A true sanctuary. Honest to goodness privacy.

Now, I am guessing many of you are hung up on the use of SOB to describe the ultimate dining based commodal experience. Well, I am one who likes to give things a second chance, a fresh start. Why should we stick SOB with only the negative??? Let's show a little love and give the SOB another chance.

Next time you come across a single occupancy bathroom, let the maitre d' know you appreciate the SOB. I am betting he will give you a wink and feel good the rest of the night....and so will you.

3 comments:

Guinevere said...

LOL Yeah, I'm sure he'd give me a wink! LOL

You bring new meaning to the word "classy". :o)

Andi said...

The first time I travelled to Norway I was delighted with their public bathrooms. The "stalls," if you could call them that, are completely private, with floor-to-ceiling doors and walls (and no ability to peek through a crack in the door). Some of them even have their own sink on the inside of the stall so you can complete the entire "transaction" in complete privacy. It was absolutely wonderful!

Anonymous said...

Yep!! Those SOBs are great!! There's one at our favorite seafood place and I always try to pop in at least once.
Now for the two WORST I have encountered. On a trip to Morocco a few years ago we had a stop over in Paris. They have public 'stalls', right on the street, that look like phone booths but are always clogged, with the 'contents' running across the sidewalk and into the street. They are EVERYWHERE! And ALL backed up. But the all-time worst was at a nature preserve in Morocco. It was a pit, out in the open, with 2 small platforms for your feet. You get the picture. I never used one but it was disconcerting to see a 'line' waiting to use it with the occupent a mere 4 feet away doing his/her business! And you do NOT want to slip and fall in!

Hmmm... well that comment was disgusting and way too long. Sorry...

Mountain Dew, Why Do You Hate Me?

 For most of my life (a lengthy bit of time) I have been a passionate supporter of Mountain Dew.  To apply a time filter to this statement, ...