Monday, June 02, 2008

Of Socks and Sons

Many people shake their heads when they hear we have five kids.  Many almost weep when I tell them they are all boys.  

Yes, they eat a lot.  Yes, they usually leave the bathroom in a pretty disgusting mess.  And yes, they pretty much destroy any nice furniture we were so stupid to have purchased.

With all that in mind, there is one aspect of sons that is driving me bonkers.....especially with two of them now being as big if not bigger than me.

They use and abuse my socks.  The two (and as of today three) oldest sons are notorious for pillaging my dresser, taking my socks.  Then, they wear them without shoes, outside....or as part of a multi sock set up for basketball, or as they swim with fins.  

They are expected to mate their own socks.  Unfortunately, I seem to be the only one around that takes that task seriously.  Hence, my dilemma.

Do not cry for me, for I have come up with the answer to my problem.  I am now purchasing hideous socks.  Socks no fashion sensitive child would ever wear.  Personally, I detest socks, and only wear them because I have to.  I couldn't care less what they look like.  However, teen and preteen boys are keenly aware of things like socks.  

So, now I am wearing these (amazing what you can find in the discount bin)......



Now, all I need are brown sandals, ivory white legs, and ill fitting shorts.  And believe me, I have just about every one of those covered.

2 comments:

Guinevere said...

LOL In our house, no one would ever dare even suggest that you wear someone else's socks! LOL When N started ROTC, he needed dark socks to wear on uniform day and I suggested he borrow a pair of his dad's until we could get him some...you should've seen the look of sheer horror and disgust that swept across his face! LOL It was priceless! I reminded him that at least I didn't suggest he borrow his dad's underwear....which I teasingly refer to as his "dad's panties". *snicker*

Anonymous said...

Hey Bill! It's been awhile!! I had a few medical problems but I'm good to go now!!!

Good idea buying 'hideous' looking socks. Hope it works. As for me? I wear white ones, but I have no sons!! And the wife HATES white socks, so I pretty much have them to myself.

Happy Father's Day!! You deserve it!

Mountain Dew, Why Do You Hate Me?

 For most of my life (a lengthy bit of time) I have been a passionate supporter of Mountain Dew.  To apply a time filter to this statement, ...