Friday, August 02, 2019

Q: How do you study for a DNA test? A: Highlight the answers with a genetic marker

Genetics is defined as "The study of heredity."

When you know a person and that person's parents (and any siblings), you get a deep appreciation of how heredity works.  You see the traits being passed down...how two very unique people passed on qualities/traits/behaviors/etc. to their children, and how those qualities are blended to make another completely unique person.

From my various biology classes, I have a fundamental understanding of the concepts of dominant traits vs recessive traits, mutations, genotype vs phenotype.  On a side note, from my 1 semester of meteorology, I know what a mid-latitude cyclone is.  Hashtag that #Impressive as well as #CliffClaven.

Interestingly, it seems to be more challenging for me to see the qualities I have passed down to my own children than it is to see those my friends have passed on to their children.  However, sometimes those qualities are just so obvious, there is really no way to miss them.  And with me being blessed with 5 kids, I have a lot of opportunities to look for what I contributed to each.

Fortunately for my kids, they got their looks and communication skills from their mom.  Kids were speaking at a very young ages...and are all handsome young men.  I am assuming a genetic test would indicate my wife has "ultra-dominate" genes for those two traits.  Ultra-dominant genes not only suppress the recessive genes, they kick their asses to the cheap part of the nucleus.

As a brief read of the bulk of my posts here would indicate, I live for humor and the ability to laugh.  It looks like that quality has started manifesting itself in some of my kids.  Take my oldest (please #HennyYoungman).  He and a very good friend of his have a humorous, entertaining, and unique podcast.  If you even remotely like what I write, or wonder what a younger version of me could possibly be like, I strongly recommend their podcast.  Here are the links:

Podcast Name: The Inside Joke
Spotify Link
iTunes Link

Or use your favorite podcast aggregator to find it.

If you are looking for 30 - 60 minutes of entertainment, give them a listen.  If you ever talk to them, please tell them the old man sent you.




No comments:

Mountain Dew, Why Do You Hate Me?

 For most of my life (a lengthy bit of time) I have been a passionate supporter of Mountain Dew.  To apply a time filter to this statement, ...