Sunday, October 15, 2006

My Distorted Expectation

So nice to be home.  Had another pretty good round of visits.  I always enjoy meeting with people inside my company that are trying to solve problems in a straightforward way.

Couple clarifications from my first post from this trip...as well as a couple new thoughts....

Hershey, PA - My initial disappointment in Hershey was related to a bizarre idea that it would resemble Wonkaville.  There were no Oompa Loompas running around.  There were no chocolate fountains, chocolate street signs, or chocolate dogs.  No Johnny Depp/Gene Wilder running around (although there was a guy with an odd hat and a purple suit in front of the amusement park...not sure if he was a featured employee or just a "friend" of the park.)  I'm sure Hershey is a wonderful town....just not the magical chocolate city I was looking for.

Gettysburg - Stopped at both the battlefield and the city.  Battlefield was worth the stop.  Being many years removed from high school history classes, I had forgotten the immense toll on human life the two day battle took.  Unbelievable and sobering.  I am definitely incredibly spoiled, often times complaining about how I had to "work outside in the heat for a couple hours".  After spending time at the battlefield, we stopped at a local Gettysburg pub for lunch.  Food was excellent....and the bathroom was, by far, the most impressive facility I found myself in all week.  Clean, nicely tiled, smelled good, nice flushing power, a "one person potty".  Why can't more bars and restaurants have something like this???

Parsippany - Great hotel....terrible traffic.  How do people put up with traffic like this day in and day out??  A drive to a restaurant for supper one night took 70 minutes.  The drive back from it to the hotel (2 hours later) took 15 minutes.  Only got flipped off 3 times for driving like a midwesterner.  Not bad.

Harrisburg, PA - Stayed here the night before I came home.  Seemed like a nice enough town.  Just stayed in a mega-suck hotel.  News flash....a non-smoking room probably should not be on the same floor as a group of smoking rooms....just a thought.  Also, I am all for hotels that are animal friendly.  However, rooms where large, shedding dogs have stayed should be thoroughly cleaned before a "non-pet" person stays.  Again, just a thought.

Cabela's - While driving to Parsippany, we stopped at a HUGE Cabela's.  It was a great stop. 

I now get a week and a half at home...then off to Toronto for a couple days.  Wonder how hard it is to create an international incident. Then again, probably best to keep my mouth shut.

 

Addendum: Blue Moon beer with an orange slice in it is very, very good.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Doesn't Blue Moon rock?! Ahhhh, I love that beer.

Glad you're home dude and that you didn't get tossed off the battlefield.

Guinevere said...

Glad to have you back safe and sound! Can't comment on the Blue Moon...don't like beer. :oÞ Would rather have a peach bellini or some other "fru fru" drink. hehe

Caffeinated Librarian said...

Hey! Why is my first comment "anonymous?!!!!!"

Mountain Dew, Why Do You Hate Me?

 For most of my life (a lengthy bit of time) I have been a passionate supporter of Mountain Dew.  To apply a time filter to this statement, ...