Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Winning Friends and Influencing People

My recent travels took me to one of my company's regional offices.  It is a beautiful office with some very nice people.  They were having a United Way fundraiser while I was there....selling old books for  next to nothing.

In an attempt to be a hospitable guest, I decided to find a book to buy.  After wandering through several rather unusual books (like "A Nurses Guide to Gynecology") I found a great buy.

I found a hardback version of "How to Win Friends and Influence People"...including an apparent autograph by Dale Carnegie, himself.  Very cool.

Now, I have taken the multiple week Dale Carnegie public speaking course, and found it very, very good.  I have a lot of respect for Dale Carnegi.  Although, I already have a copy of this book, I had to buy this one.  It is from 1940 and has that awesome autograph.  All for $2.00.

So, as I sat in the plane waiting to fly home, I started thumbing through the book....and came across a very interesting chapter that I don't remember from my classes.  I had people looking over at me as I laughed out loud.  Times sure have changed. 

Below are exerpts from it.....ENJOY.

Seven Rules For Making Your Home Life Happier

  1. Don't nag
  2. Don't try to make your partner over
  3. Don't criticize
  4. Give honest appreciation
  5. Pay little attentions
  6. Be courteous
  7. Read a good book on the sexual side of marriage

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't nag? The hell, you say!
What does "Pay little attentions" mean... ignore your husband/wife?

Guinevere said...

The last one cracks me up! lol OMG!!! lol And this is from the '40s??? That's a bit racy for that decade, isn't it? Or am I just naive? ;o)

Glad you found a book that interested you. I love book sales! Our public library here has one every summer. 25¢ apiece! I think we spent $20 there last year...but mostly on magazines.

Caffeinated Librarian said...

Wow, they need to republish that list. I'd say that most men today need to read AT LEAST one book on the sexual side...

Whoops, did I say that out loud?

Sue said...

Why did they ever remove that! You should not have been laughing... you should be paying attention.

: ) Sue

Mountain Dew, Why Do You Hate Me?

 For most of my life (a lengthy bit of time) I have been a passionate supporter of Mountain Dew.  To apply a time filter to this statement, ...