Sunday, April 08, 2007

Respect

Growing up, I had an older sister and a younger sister. This dynamic exposed me to something no male should ever have to be exposed to….a disease I call the TigerBeat Syndrome. Yes, for several years of my young life, I was bombarded with magazines, cassettes, and tv specials that revolved around teen idols from the 70's. I am convinced that the 70's were the heyday of teen idols. I am also convinced that this exposure left me warped and slightly off-center.

Here were the big hitters, as I remember them:

  • David Cassidy – The front man for the Partridge Family. Seemingly on the cover of magazines every week. I think the boy actually had some talent….just got washed away with the teen idol stuff. Here's a nice tribute on YouTube. And, yes. I remember the other short lived TV show he starred in, "David Cassidy, Man Undercover". In case anyone is interested, he has a nice web site.
  • Shaun Cassidy – Half brother of David, one of the Hardy Boys, and all the hair. I remember he was up for new performer of the year with his version of Da Do Run Run. Here he is performing his meg-hit "That's Rock and Roll". Sing it, Joe Hardy.
  • Bobby Sherman – This guy was #2 with my older sister (#1 will be discussed in a moment). Bobby was one of the stars on the show "Here Comes The Brides" (with David Soul). I believe he had the stuttering problem. I can still remember the Bobby Sherman cassette tape my sister had…which she played over and over. One of his big hits was Easy Come, Easy Go.

Now, without a doubt, the number one teen idol throughout the 70's in my household was Donny Osmond. Donny, and to a lesser degree the entire Osmond family dominated TigerBeat, Bop, and other mags. I can remember going along with my family to the Indiana State Fair one year just so my two sisters and one of their friends could see the Osmonds live.

You are likely wondering, what the heck does the title of this post have to do with anything?? Well, I am tossing my respect out to said teen idol, Donny Osmond. Donny has shown several times that he has a great sense of humor. Most recently were two very funny examples. First, his appearance with Jimmy Kimmel. Some very funny stuff.

The second example is his appearance on the Weird Al video "White and Nerdy". Donny is the guy dancing behind Al. No big need to have his name splashed around….just some funny dancing.

Not only does he have a lot of talent, but more importantly, he is cool enough to poke fun at himself. The guy gets the WHW stamp of respect…which I am sure will make his day when he hears about it. Way to go, Donny.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank God that my sister aspired to be a missionary! No 'Tiger Beat' or 'Bop' around the house. But I gotta tell ya, Donny Osmond rules!! Loved the Kimmel sketch and the 'White & Nerdy' video ROCKED!! Just glad that you didn't add the Brady's. I'd mention a few of their songs but it's just too painful.

Guinevere said...

Shaun Cassidy was my first real celebrity crush. I owned all of his albums and had posters of him up all over my room! lol That video brought back some memories!

When "Donny & Marie" was on, we watched it all the time. I had such a crush on Donny too. He was such a goodie goodie when he was younger and I think it's great that he can be so self-deprecating. He doesn't take himself too seriously. The Kimmel sketch was awesome! lol I'd seen the White and Nerdy video before, but never caught that that was Donny. How funny! I was cracking up! (Oh, M is white and nerdy. He remembers watching the Star Wars Holiday Special and has been looking for a copy. How's that for geeky??? lol)

Hope you had a great Easter!!! :o)

weimie said...

I was LMAO as I read this... I must be about the same age as your younger sister - and let me tell you, I LIVED for issues of Teen Beat and remember begging my mom to buy it for me! I hadn't thought of that in years - so thanks for tweaking that memory outta the cobwebs of my mind!

G and I have a lot in common... Shaun Cassidy was my fave then too. I thought he hung the moon... how funny. I loved watching the YouTube videos, thanks for posting the links!! I've had a good chuckle this morning!

Oh - and I forgot one - still not an even dozen yet so I guess I'm not a nerd yet... just a nerd-in-training. :o)

Caffeinated Librarian said...

See, none of these guys ever did anything for me. And I never liked Tiger Beat for that matter. I was too busy playing with my Star Wars figures and dreaming of Luke Skywalker and Micky Dolenz. Hey, Hey, we're the Monkees indeed.

I heard a rumor about tomorrow. Hehehehehehehehehehehehe! Now I must go out and make plans on how to commemorate such an important day. *grin*

Unknown said...

Hey, dude! Happy Birthday!! Hope you have a wonderful week!!I loved the videos..I remember him..I liked his older brother in the show...
Jean

weimie said...

Happy Birthday to you
Happy Birthday to you
Happy Birthday dear Bill
Happy Birthday to YOU!!

Do something fun today!
weimie

madison said...

Happy Birthday sweet Bill!
I hope you have a fabulous, fun, and joy filled day!

Blessings to you,
S :)

Mountain Dew, Why Do You Hate Me?

 For most of my life (a lengthy bit of time) I have been a passionate supporter of Mountain Dew.  To apply a time filter to this statement, ...