Friday, June 01, 2007

In Search Of.....Soda

Triple post tonight.

I have been sitting on a lot of ideas lately. Between a sinus infection, work, and the kids' end-of-school stuff, I have had little free time.

This final post tonight has to do with something I noticed at several local grocery stores yesterday. I was shopping for snacks and drinks for our celebration of son #2's graduation from 8th grade. Way to go JL! Mom and Dad are very proud of you!

Well, I was quickly cruising down the lenthy pop aisles looking for some good pop. Mrs. WHW had given me orders...."No Mountain Dew". I think she wanted me to keep my heart rate under a field mouse's.

I wanted something cool....something unique for his party. I noticed many odd pops in the aisle as well as some oldies but goodies....
  1. Tab is now an "energy" drink. I remember, as a janitor, how Tab was the drink of choice in the teacher's lounge.
  2. Dr. Thunder - appears to be a clone of Dr. Pepper
  3. Fresca - remember fresca? It looked so good in the glass, yet tasted so bad.
  4. Sam's Choice (insert pop flavor)
  5. Shasta is still around
  6. Good old RC is also still around
  7. Cream Soda
  8. Mountain Lightning/Mountain Maze/Mountain Frost - clones of my beloved MD.

JL ended up wanting Root Beer and Cream Soda. I also bought some Dr. Thunder...and it wasn't too bad. I ended up drinking several glasses of it. Unfortunately, my evening ended up like the Tell Tale Heart. I was sure everyone could hear my rapid heart beat. Obviously, I drank way too much of the good Dr.

7 comments:

MamaChristy said...

WHW, you've inspired me! Must. Write. About. Faygo!

Anonymous said...

I love you triple posts! And your search through the 'old pops' aisle.

Have a safe trip and bring home some interesting blog material!

Take care, Bob~

Guinevere said...

I know Dr. Thunder well...have drank lots of it in the past. Cheaper than the real stuff...tastes ok...just not the real stuff.

Give me the real stuff! lol

Hope you're having a great weekend!

Elizabeth said...

We've been on a diet root beer kick here at the house. A & W only, please. My hubby became thoroughly annoyed the day he accidentally brought home A & W cream soda instead of the root beer. Whoops!

Caffeinated Librarian said...

You should try "Dr. Smooth" dude; that's what we used to drink in college.

weimie said...

Loved a triple post! AWESOME!!

Hope your trip is going good and you come home with LOTS of ideas in your little notebook.

And... can't help you at all with the soda thing. I haven't had a soda in over 10 years. I don't even know what's out there nowadays. We never buy it for home... the girls and hubby might get some if we go out to eat but then, they mostly drink sweet tea. (I gave that up about 2 years ago too!)

Looking forward to your return!
weimie

Unknown said...

I remember Tab being considered "carcinogenic". Then again, I think they were feeding the mice pounds of saccharine.

And there's no way ever that I'd give up my diet mountain dew. I can drink a 6 pack and still fall asleep... then again, I'm a zombie until I have my caffeine. Can anyone say "tolerance"? (or would it be "dependance?") ;)

Mountain Dew, Why Do You Hate Me?

 For most of my life (a lengthy bit of time) I have been a passionate supporter of Mountain Dew.  To apply a time filter to this statement, ...