Monday, October 08, 2007

New Word: Oddservations

I have decided to create a new word. I believe it accurately captures many of my daily experiences. So, starting today I will occasionally be posting my Oddservations.
  1. The Hitler mustache still doesn't work. Bumped into someone the other day sporting it. Even without the goosestep, it does not work.
  2. As I stood in a local grocery store I noticed an interesting sign. It was a sign the owners created on a computer...probably using MS Word. It was printed on orange paper, and said "Happy Halloween". Seems seasonally appropriate. However, a large menorah was printed in the middle of the paper. It would appear the author grabbed the first holiday clip art in the Word library....and that they are pretty unfamiliar with the Jewish faith.
  3. I am old school. Growing up, the only people who had tattoos were men who had served in the armed forces in the South Pacific....and possibly someone in Hell's Angels. Now, of course, tattoos are very common, which I have no problem with. However, there are still certain professions that I would like to see NOT have a tattoo. For example, I don't think priests or nuns should have them, or surgeons, or grade school teachers, or any woman in my family over the age of 60. If they have them, I just don't want them to show them to me.
  4. And, while we are on the topic of tattoos....I think every tattoo artist should be required, by law, to only give someone a tattoo that is consistent with the person's look and personality. If they are rough and tumble, the barbed wired around the bicep is cool. If they are a nerd, shaped much like a bowling pin (hitting close to home) no barbed wire, or skeleton's head. Maybe a pac-man or the Apple Key, or something less intimidating.

7 comments:

Caffeinated Librarian said...

Maybe the Hitler mustache dude was getting ready for Halloween?

Guinevere said...

Interesting oddservations. lol I'm with you on the whole tattoo thing.

Sup?

Sue Lehman said...

Yeah, the Hitler mustache is in the same category with the beard and no mustache,as far as I am concerned. Great Oddservations!!!

Andi said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Andi said...

I've always told myself I would NEVER get a tattoo, but the Apple key one sounds like an interesting idea...

meg said...

Our regular checker at the grocery has one of those unfortunate lip adornments, with corresponding hedgehog crew cut; Sam gets the giggles every time, & I feel slightly creeped out :P
A Menorah? Must have thought it was some Gothic candelabra- not that it's any excuse for ignorance these days.
I agree with the moratorium on tats for certain folks- I would be rather nervous about a kindergarden teacher sporting decorations, even if it is a smiley face or the alphabet :P

weimie said...

Love your new word "oddservations" and the idea behind it!

Hope all is well with you. :o)

Mountain Dew, Why Do You Hate Me?

 For most of my life (a lengthy bit of time) I have been a passionate supporter of Mountain Dew.  To apply a time filter to this statement, ...