Tuesday, November 06, 2007

It's A Gift

Yesterday was a day off for me. I ended up running to the local store to pick up a few things for lunch. I did NOT want the tilapia Mrs. WHW was making. I wanted chili and macaroni noodles....my own chili mac. BTW: tilapia looks a lot like carp.

Anyway, as I walked out of the store there was a older fellow wandering around the small parking lot. As I approached my car, he looked up at me, smiled, and said something about the wind (yesterday was very windy here). I nodded and told him to be sure to hold his hat on. In retrospect, this was a dumb thing to do.

What followed was 15 minutes of discussion. Topics included:
  1. How his daughter and her friend are trying to draw disability...not because they are disabled, but because they are lazy. I learned that "they" hire people to watch people who are claiming disability and take pictures proving you are not disabled.
  2. He spends his days wandering parking lots, gas station lots, and fast food drive thrus looking for change that people drop and don't pick up. Sounds like the McDonald's drive thru is a gold mine. Said this helps him pass the day.
  3. In a story that tied his first two stories, he told me that he once found a wallet with $120 in it at a truck stop. His daughter wanted him to keep it....and give her $50. He decided to call the person and work out a return. He was rewarded with $20 of the $120.

Believe me, for every story I post about my encounters I have 3 more I decide would be redundant.

It's nice to be needed.

4 comments:

Guinevere said...

You must lead either a very interesting life...or a very tedious one.

lol

Chris said...

Never make eye/voice contact. That's usually your biggest downfall.

And this week's weather is perfect for chili mac! We like ours with Fritos, chopped onion, and shredded cheddar cheese. Mmmm...Might need to have that tomorrow night!

Anonymous said...

You should always walk directly to your car with a determined look on your face and if you are mumbling to yourself, then that's just a second layer of defense!

I actually quite like talapia when it's done right but your chili mac sounds great!

Have a great upcoming weekend and sorry about your Colts. Soooo close!

weimie said...

Well... all I can say is, when you figure out what it is you are doing to attract these kinds of people, please tell me. Because, I have the same problem. Weirdos FIND me.

I've always sorta chalked it up to "takes one to know one" but... maybe not. ;o)

Mountain Dew, Why Do You Hate Me?

 For most of my life (a lengthy bit of time) I have been a passionate supporter of Mountain Dew.  To apply a time filter to this statement, ...