Saturday, August 30, 2008

Back to Old School

I love tea.

Although I am still a Mountain Dew man, and still crave Starbucks frequently, when pressed to pick one drink as my favorite, it would have to be tea.

Growing up, we always had one of those sun tea jars sitting on the south side of the house, with tea a brewing. It was the perfect companion drink for the standard summer supper of fried chicken, corn on the cob, and garden fresh tomatoes.

As I grew up and moved away from home, I sort of lost site of tea. Coffee, pop, and beer all stepped up as viable alternatives. Occasionally, in the middle of winter, I would make some hot tea.

Then, one day a few years ago, I bought a box of Celestial Seasonings' Green Tea. That started my path back to tea. I started ordering iced green tea at Starbucks. While on a business trip in Atlanta, I had real honest to goodness sweet tea! Last year, I started buying boxes of Tazo tea. It was all coming back to me.

Why do I bring this up? Last week I was visiting my in-laws. And they had a big pitcher of tea. It tasted good. Since most of them had been working hard that day, the pitcher didn't last long. So, once it was drained, someone would get up and put together another pitcher in a matter of seconds.

Having completely forgotten about my childhood, I could not figure out how they made another pitcher so quickly. So I watched once....and what I saw brought back all kinds of good memories.

Each time they needed more tea, they would drop 2 tablespoons of this in the pitcher:




Good, old fashioned instant tea. Nothing fancy, nothing sophisticated. How simple.

So, I now have a jar, and plan to make some each morning, to take with me to work.

Sometimes, simpler is better.

3 comments:

mumof3boyz said...

Tea is the favorite drink at our house. We have a Mr. Coffee Tea Maker. In fact we are on our 4th maker. We use it so much we have worn the pitchers and/or makers out and have had to buy another.

Dory said...

I gave up tea. And Mt. Dew... and all things sugary. I used to miss it but.... I'm finally officially over it. I'm a water girl now.

I still drink coffee though. Some habits will never die.

Dory said...

Well... been thinking about that earlier comment. Not ALL things sugary... still have a chocoholic issue and hot tamales! Love them things...

I just meant *drinks* that I'd given up.

Mountain Dew, Why Do You Hate Me?

 For most of my life (a lengthy bit of time) I have been a passionate supporter of Mountain Dew.  To apply a time filter to this statement, ...